Lenovo laptops normally work great without any issues. Occasionally though, you may find that when you press the power button the laptop does not power on.
Lenovo has several different models and styles of laptops and each may vary slightly as to how to fix issues with the laptop not turning on.
The quick fix when your Lenovo laptop is not turning on is to unplug the A/C adapter and remove the battery if possible. Next, hold down the power button for about 30 seconds. Then, plug in the A/C adapter and boot the machine. And finally, re-install the battery.
10 Step Process To Resolve A Lenovo Laptop Not Turning On
For a more detailed step-by-step process to fix issues with your Lenovo laptop not turning on, we’ll start with the basics and work our way to more advanced techniques. Follow the 10 step process starting by checking the A/C adapter, the battery as well as the charging port. From there we advance to checking individual components for damage.
- Lenovo Laptop Does Not Turn On
- 1) Lenovo Laptop No Status Lights?
- 2) Remove The A/C Adapter And Battery
- 3) Lenovo Power On With Battery Only?
- 4) Press The Lenovo Emergency Reset Button
- 5) Press The Lenovo NOVO Button
- 6) Lenovo Display Screen Blank?
- 7) Lenovo A/C Adapter And Power Port Bad?
- 8) Lenovo Battery Issues?
- 9) Lenovo Power Button Blinking Or Flashing?
- 10) Remove Lenovo Laptop Internal Components
Lenovo Laptop Does Not Turn On
Is the Lenovo laptop getting power? That is the first thing to know.
Your laptop is not powering on, but is it even receiving power?
We’ll troubleshoot to figure out if the issue is with the laptop, the display screen, or the A/C adapter and battery.
I’ve isolated the checks into individual steps to follow to help resolve power-on issues.
1) Lenovo Laptop No Status Lights?
Check to see if the power status indicator lights are functioning.
- Plug in the A/C adapter and look for a power status indicator light. It might be found on the lower part of the display screen or where you plug in the A/C adapter.
- Verify your power outlet is working properly and is not the issue.
- If you do see a power status indicator light, try to power on the laptop.
If you do not see a status indicator light continue below.
2) Remove The A/C Adapter And Battery
- If you do not see a status light, unplug the A/C adapter and remove the battery if it is external.
- Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds to discharge any static buildup.
- Now, plug in the A/C adapter.
- Press the power button to see if the laptop powers on.
Also check out my article: Lenovo Battery Not Charging for information on how to resolve battery issues.
3) Lenovo Power On With Battery Only?
If the Lenovo Laptop does not power on with only the A/C adapter, it is time to try with only the battery. We are trying to isolate the issue with these steps.
- Unplug the A/C adapter.
- Re-Insert the battery.
- Press the power button to check if the laptop powers on.
Read my article on the top 4 laptop hardware issues and how to resolve them
Top 4 Laptop Hardware Issues
4) Press The Lenovo Emergency Reset Button
Some Lenovo laptops have a CMOS reset button that can be pushed to reset the system. Lenovo calls this the ‘Emergency Reset Hole‘. This cuts power to the system from any internal or external battery to reset the laptop.
- Turn over the laptop and look for a small hole on the back base plate.
- If your Lenovo laptop has this reset hole, insert a straight pin into it to press the emergency reset button.
- Try to power on your Lenovo laptop.
Still having issues? Continue on to the next step..
As Tech people, we love a fast and easy-to-use hosting provider.
I recently switched to Cloudways to host my blog because of their simplicity of use and freedom to manage servers and sites the way I want.
The best features from Cloudways are:
- 1-Click launch for multiple apps (including WordPress, WooCommerce, and Magento).
- Unlimited apps per server. Yes, create as many WordPress installs as you want.
- A choice of 5 top-notch cloud providers (AWS. Google Cloud, DigitalOcean, Linode & Vultr), all ready to launch in a single click.
Click the banner and get started with a free trial.
I’m happy with Cloudways and invite you to check them out for yourself. In fact, I became an affiliate for Cloudways and make a small commission on purchases. Their interface alone is extremely easy to navigate and the best part is you get a free trial.
5) Press The Lenovo NOVO Button
Some IdeaPad laptops have a NOVO button to reset the system and boot into the recovery BIOS. This button is usually located by the power button or on the side of the laptop. It will be denoted with an upside-down-looking curved arrow.
- The NOVO button is a small hole with a backwards arrow next to it that looks like an upside down U.
- This allows you to enter the Lenovo recovery mode.
- In the NOVO menu, there is an option for system recovery. Select it and then boot the laptop.
>> Get yourself a NEW Lenovo laptop with free shipping through my affiliate link, if you make a purchase I receive a small percentage but there are no added costs to you. Click the banner to get yours.
6) Lenovo Display Screen Blank?
Make sure the issue is not with a bad display. Sometimes the laptop may power on but the display is blank making it look like the laptop is off.
- Power on the system and look for signs it is on.
- Look for lights and listen for fan noise.
- If it seems the laptop is getting power but the display is not working, you will need to have it serviced.
7) Lenovo A/C Adapter And Power Port Bad?
The A/C power adapter could be bad or damaged as well as the plug-in port. Check both.
- Check the A/C adapter and cable for any visible damage and purchase a replacement if needed.
- Check the laptop port where you plug in the adapter for signs of damage.
- Occasionally the port gets worn and doesn’t make a good secure connection.
- Have the laptop serviced if the port is worn.
8) Lenovo Battery Issues?
We removed the battery in earlier steps to help isolate the power issue. Now let’s check if the battery is bad.
- A bad battery can cause power issues and prevent the laptop from powering on.
- Check the battery for any visible signs of damage and replace as needed.
- See the Lenovo Battery Reference Guide for information specific to your Lenovo Laptop model.
A damaged battery or one that just doesn’t charge, or hold a charge, will need to be replaced.
9) Lenovo Power Button Blinking Or Flashing?
Normally this flashing means the Lenovo laptop is in sleep or standby mode, in which case just press any key to wake it up.
In this situation though, when you press the power button it starts blinking but the laptop does not power on follow the steps below:
- Press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds to turn it off.
- Press the ‘Emergency Reset Hole’ (shown in step 4) then power on the laptop.
- If your laptop does not have a reset button, you will need to remove the external and internal batteries(step 10), then press the power button for 15 seconds. Now replace the batteries and power on the laptop.
10) Remove Lenovo Laptop Internal Components
If the Lenovo laptop still is not turning on, consider opening up the laptop and removing and re-seating the hard drive, memory modules, and internal battery. Then put all the components back together and try to power on the laptop. Check out my article titled: Laptop Repair Primer (free guide) for additional information about repair steps.
These links below should provide support for your particular Lenovo Laptop.
Parts Removal and Replacement Videos can be found for Lenovo Laptops.
Order Replacement Parts for Lenovo Laptops.
Check your Warranty Status for Lenovo Laptops.
Battery and Power Adapter Finder for Lenovo Laptops.
If all these steps have failed to power on the laptop it is time to call Lenovo support to have the system serviced and repaired.
Locate a Repair Center for Lenovo Laptops.
While Le no vo laptops are reliable sometimes things go wrong such as the laptop is not turning on. The last resort after trying these checks will be to contact Lenovo support. However, the troubleshooting steps shown in this article should resolve the majority of laptop turning on and power issues. As mentioned above there are several different laptop models so not every step will apply to all
Here are some of my favorite tools
Thank you for checking out my article, I hope you have found it helpful. Below are some tools I recommend that I think you will find useful as well. They are affiliate links where I earn a commission if you do use them. This helps to support this website.
I actually have an article discussing the basics of web hosting and why I switched over to the cloud hosting company, Cloudways. Start a free trial and see all their plans.
Malwarebytes 4 Premium is now out, get it for just – $39.99 per year. The redesigned UI of Malwarebytes 4.0 is more informative, intuitive, and simple to navigate.
Did you know they also offer a next-gen VPN to help protect your privacy online? Check them out for your laptop or computer.
With +17 million customers worldwide, GoDaddy.com is the world’s No.1 domain registrar. They are a great place to register a new domain name and build a website.
Stay safe and browse fast with – NordVPN. Get a special deal through my link.
Explore More Topics