The keyboard is pretty easy to remove and re-install. You remove a few screws from the back of the machine which hold the keyboard in place. Then open the Thinkpad and take off the keyboard remembering there is a connector about mid-point on the underside that connects to the motherboard.
Step by step:
– Turn off computer and disconnect the AC adapter.
– Close display and turn laptop over.
– Remove the battery.
– Remove the screws on the back of the machine that have a small drawing of a keyboard. There are either 3 or 4 screws depending on the model.
– Open the display to remove the keyboard.
– Push forward on the keyboard so the lower end can be lifted up and out toward you; then detach the connector on the underside of the keyboard that goes to the mainboard.
– Reverse the steps to install the keyboard and re-tighten the screws on the back of the machine.
As always refer to the hardware maintenance manual if you need more detailed information about the process.